With the Commonwealth Games soon approaching, it is important for you to be aware of some changes to the Law.
During the period of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games, it is essential to be wary of temporary road restrictions around Birmingham. Temporary road restrictions will come into play in order to facilitate the Games.
Here at Regan Peggs Solicitors, we have extensive experience in dealing with motoring matters. If you find yourself charged with contravening any of these restrictions, our team will be able to represent you.
If you wish to apply for a Driving Licence for taxis or private hire vehicles during the time of the Commonwealth Games, you must apply to your local council.
To be eligible for this you must:
- be able to work legally in the UK,
- hold a full GB or Northern Ireland Driving Licence, or alternatively a full EU Driving Licence for at least 12 months.
- be regarded as a ‘fit and proper person’
You may also be required to have a medical examination, a ‘knowledge’ test and to take a driving test.
Should you have any doubts about whether or not you meet the above criteria, Regan Peggs Solicitors will be happy to discuss this with you and put forward an application on your behalf, ensuring that your application is as strong and streamlined as possible.
Advertising at the Commonwealth Games
It is also important to be aware that during the 2022 Commonwealth Games it is an offence for a person to-
- Carry out Games location advertising;
- Arrange for such advertising to be carried out;
- Permit the carrying out of such advertising.
This means that if you are found to be promoting a product, service or business specifically to members of the public who are in, or in the vicinity of the Games location or broadcast you may be breaking the law.
If you are found guilty of “Games location advertising” without an authorisation granted by the Organising Committee, you may face a fine.
Trading at the Commonwealth Games
It is also an offence during the Commonwealth Games, for a person to-
- Carry our Games location trading;
- Arrange for such trading to be carried out;
- Permit the carrying out of such trading.
“Game location trading” is trading in a specified Games location at any time during a specified period. Trading means-
- Selling an item, or offering or exposing an item for sale
- Providing a service, or offering to provide a service, for gain or reward
- Providing public entertainment for gain or reward
- Appealing for money or other property
If you are found guilty of “Games location advertising” or “Games location trading” without proper authorisation you may face a fine.
We’re here to help
Our team at Regan Peggs Solicitors will be happy to guide you on how to make the most of the commercial opportunity the Games bring, whilst acting within the law.